A few nights ago as I was checking my email before going to bed I remembered it was April Fool's day. Sarah had talked to me about some things she could do to "fool" her classmates at school. I got to thinking about what I could do to them without taking it too far. I don't want retribution down the road when they are older. So, I searched on Google for some ideas. The one I finally settled on was moving the kids to different beds while they were sleeping. I decided I probably didn't want to mess with Thomas, so I moved Sarah to Megan's bed and Megan to Sarah's bed. Thomas ended up having nightmares in the early morning hours and finished sleeping between Mike and I...a very rary occurance, since I can't sleep with his little body shoved next to mine. So I guess he really did end up in a different bed after all. Anyway, I was pretty excited to see what the girls would say in the morning. Around 7:45 I heard talking coming from their room so I got out of bed and wandered in...casually. Sarah gave me a look and asked if I had moved them. "I don't know what you are talking about. You must have walked in your sleep." I carried this on for several minutes. Sarah was not quite convinced. I think Megan almost believed me. And then I finally told them "April Fool!" They thought it was really funny and I may have to continue this tradition as long as I can move them.
Later that day I was trying to think of something to do to Mike, when I remembered that when we were dating I had fooled him by calling him and telling him I had a flat tire and could he please come help me change my tire. He met me at the spot I told him near Helaman Halls in Provo and I stood there and watched him walk around the car, looking for the flat. He finally looked at me with a confused look on his face and I told him "April Fool". He took it in good humor and I enjoyed watching him come to "rescue his damsel in distress".
I thought maybe this year I could drive by his work and give his car a fake parking ticket, but didn't think I could sneak up to his car without him seeing me. His office window looks right out at his parking space. I decided to think about it and try to figure out something for later that evening. In the meantime my Mom flew in for a visit and so I was busy with her for the afternoon going out to lunch and driving home from the airport. As fate would have it, I actually got a flat tire a few miles from my house. I could not believe it. I happened to be 1 block from a car shop and was able to get the tire fixed quickly. Later that afternoon I called up Mike and informed him that I had a flat tire that he needed to fix. I told him that it was when I went to the bus stop to pick up the girls and I had to leave the car and walk home. He sounded a bit annoyed that I didn't call him ealier since it would probably be dark when he got home from work. I could tell he was tired and I decided to not let him stew about it for the last few hours of his work day and finally told him. I think he only thought I was a little bit funny. Good thing I don't do mean tricks since he really doesn't like any of that kind of stuff.
One mean one a friend pulled on me was back when I was in about 4th grade. My best friend Melissa came from a family that liked to trick each other. On April 1st she walked up to me right as I was throwing my lunch bag away after lunch and offered me a piece of chocolate from a little pastic bag. I loved chocolate back then...still do...and would never turn down a piece. I plopped that piece in my mouth and bit down and about 2 seconds later tasted the soap now completely stuck in my teeth. With the help of her mom, she had cut up a bar of soap into little pieces and coated them in chocolate to "share" with all her friends. Let's just say the soap stuck around in my teeth for quite a while. I will never forget that "fool" I received. Thanks Melissa!
13 years ago
2 comments:
Pretty funny. I put candy on Anna's plate and handed it to her for breakfast. She thought that was pretty funny. She pranked me pretty good mid afternoon. I heard a shriek and a yell that Eddy was in the bathroom and ran down the hall to catch him and Anna started laughing. That evening she did it again to Rod. I also served her toothpaste oreos before bed. Yum. Truthfully, I don't love April Fool's Day but you gotta make it fun for the kids. I read one where the Mom got them up and ready for church before she told them. Funny to older kids. Next year maybe I will try the bed switch.
I like the prank you pulled on the girls. I just hope I'm not ever one of your victims on April 1st.
Jeff proposed to me on April Fool's day and when he opened the ring box there wasn't a ring in there. I was already crying at this point and then said through my tears, "April Fools?" I remember being so mad thinking it was all a joke and that when he really did propose that I would say no.
It ended up being real though, the ring was hanging from a tree branch.
Post a Comment