Lucy will be up here soon.

I need to take a picture to add of her.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring Break 2009

This year I really wanted to get to the beach for spring break. Of course April in Washington doesn't mean a warm beach. We decided to try somewhere new this year. I have always wanted to go to Cannon Beach to see the Seastacks. So, we made plans to drive down to Oregon and stay in a beach town called Seaside for 3 days of our spring break. We started our vacation by staying at Becca's house (Mike's sister) for conference weekend, so the cousins could get together and play and so we could lengthen the vacation time without spending too much money on a hotel. The kids all had a great time playing together and were sad to see Monday arrive when they would have to part ways. We drove 3 more hours to the coast late Monday morning and had lunch at nice little restaurant in downtown Seaside before checking into our hotel. We picked a place right on the beach and boardwalk. As soon as we checked in the kids wanted to check out the beach right away. We had to return to the room to change into swimming suits when it became apparent their clothes wouldn't stay dry for long. While we were there we visited the beach a few times, rode our bikes on the boardwalk, visited the small, historic aquarium where we were able to feed the seals, went sight-seeing down the coast to Cannon Beach to see the famous Sea Stacks, and had some good family bonding time. It was a great spring break with lots of precious treasures from the beach to bring home and photos to remember it by. Unfortunately the morning after we got home 3 of us came down with a stomach bug that took care of the rest of the week off from school. At least the throwing up didn't occur in the hotel room or car. Here are some of my favorite photos from the trip. Just a few. ;) I had a hard time editing it down any more.

Megan loves the water and never gets cold.

The water was really cold but they didn't mind.

Thomas was happier digging in the sand and had fun getting his feet buried by his dad.

It's been a long sunless winter in the Northwest and it felt really good to soak in some sun.
I liked how they were all looking down at their feet in this picture.
Graphic designer in me liked the composition in this one.
I am hardly ever in pictures so I handed the camera to Mike to get all 4 girls!
I love to watch Thomas run! He loves to run and is pretty fast!
First Sarah found one and Megan was a bit dismayed that she didn't have one too. Sarah was quick to say it was for the whole family to share. Luckily about 1/2 hour later Megan found hers.
Of course the vacation wasn't complete without swimming in the hotel pool while we were there. Plus, it's a lot warmer than the ocean.
Our last morning there I had grand plans to take a few pictures of the kids. A mini photo shoot so to speak. My plans were dashed when this was the biggest they could open their eyes. "It's too sunny!" I guess my kids eyes are growing used to the dim light in Washington.
We spent part of our second day in Cannon Beach. It was colder that day, but it didn't seem to hold the kids back. We finally had to drag them from the beach when we were too cold in our sweatshirts.



We drove down the coast a bit from the first beach to get a closer look at the seastacks and take a few pictures.



On our last day it was too cold to go to the beach so we went to the little aquarium in Seaside.
The kids were able to feed the funny seals some fish. The seals would flap their flippers against their bodies to get our attention. They were pretty loud and the kids thought that was cool.
This was my favorite little display.
After a lot of convincing Thomas finally braved reaching in to the tank to touch the starfish. This was his pleased/proud little smile I caught right as he looked up. To cute. It took a bit more convincing to touch the anemone, but he finally did. What fun!
We had such a fun time with our little family and our kids are already asking when they can go back. Next time I would like to avoid the stomach bug. That was not fun.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I love seeing all the pictures of your trip. Looks like a lot of fun!