Lucy will be up here soon.

I need to take a picture to add of her.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

San Juan Island Vacation

We went out to San Juan Island with some friends for Memorial Day weekend. Their parents built a vacation home right on the shore that is gorgeous. We were lucky enough to stay somewhere like that without having to pay for anything but food and the ferry. Lucky us. We had such a great time visiting different spots on the island and letting the kids all play together. Good times. I tooks tons of photos and I am posting my favorites.

This is the house.The view of Pugent Sound from the house. There's a beach if you look close that we walked down to right away.
Sarah, Grace and Megan.

We went into Friday Harbor to eat lunch and Megan wanted to share my drink.
We also went down to the docks to see the sailboats. I liked the shadows from Mike and Thomas.

There was a cute little farm that sold fresh eggs and produce. While we were there the kids looked at the baby lambs and fed some llamas.Searching for the llamas.


On the second day we went over to a beach on the other side of the island. I believe it was called American Beach. There was a small confrontation that occured there called "The Pig War". Basically there was a boundary dispute with the British about San Juan Island. And when a man killed a pig that was rooting in his garden, it caused a military escalation with armed forces being sent to resolve the "situation". No blood was shed, other than the pig's, and the Americans ultimately gained ownership of San Juan Island.
Here's the group walking down to the beach. Thomas didn't take long getting down to business. "I don't want my picture taken."
"Oh....alright." She had just had her feelings hurt somehow and I liked the shot.

It took a little coaxing to get this picture.Thomas doesn't like to look at the camera much, so I take what I can get.
Cannon and Thomas throwing sand. They managed to not throw it on eachother.
I couldn't believe this shot when I uploaded it off my camera. The sand perfectly lined up with his eyes. No photoshop here people.
All the kids were very busy building a fort out of the driftwood. I thought it was very cute how Thomas joined right in with his older sisters and carried "big" pieces of wood.
Sarah finally had a chance to use her "Sea Scope" that Santa brought her for Christmas. She was so thrilled. Too bad there wasn't more life in the tide pools.
Heading back up the trail to the car.
I stopped to take a picture of my 3 kids, but Thomas wouldn't join in. I think this works.On our way home on the ferry. This made the trip that much more memorable. The girls loved both trips. Thomas was pretty nervous most of the time. He finally got over it by the time we were back to the mainland.


No comments: